Thursday 25 April 2013

DREAMING, NIGHTMARES, BEER DOGS AND ART.


Not a dicky bird from yours truly in the last few weeks here in Seyðisfjörður Iceland. In that time I have had dreams, nightmares, drunk beer - when I remembered to get down to the off license in the hour between 5pm and 6pm Monday to Friday, made more drawings and taken custody of a dog called Kahli.

Ambulance

Exiting the bow bells pub in East London I was feeling rather merry. I waved off my friends who I think I spent the evening with. I started making my way home when a gang of youths stopped me in my tracks. One extended his right arm in a flash like motion and connected with my neck. His hand was gripping a broken beer bottle with the exposed shards now deep in my jugular vein, he quickly snapped out and the gang moved on promptly - leaving me clutching my neck trying to stop an incredible flow. My heart was pumping hot water through my fingertips, I looked down and saw that it was blood.
Vanessa and John would be unaware that I am perhaps going to die. Oh my god I was in a panic.
I stumbled onwards desperate. In the direction of home I collapsed into a telephone box, I managed to grapple the receiver with my left hand while my right hand clutched pathetically at my severed neck. I secured the receiver and dialled 999. Two rings felt like 20.

“Hello what service do you require?”

“Ambulance”

“If you would like to hold the line please I will put you through.”

“Hello Ambulance”

“I have been stabbed in the neck and I am dying!”

“Where are you?”

“Bow, a telephone box in Stroudly Walk please hurry.”

“hold the line please.”

Like I had a choice I was put on hold.
It felt like someone left the hot tap running and there was no sign of pain. It was a moment and a click later when I had to endure “my Heart Skips a Beat” by Olly Murs, this played on a loop for what seemed an eternity. The blood was seriously pumping now and I was feeling very faint. The hot water ran downwards but I was freezing from my toes upwards. My hands were shivering and tears began to stream down my face. I could only think of Vanessa and her sweet poor face. My tears marbling with the blood that now saturated my entire body. I could just about make out an Indian sounding voice.


“Hello sir Hello?”

Maybe I said something.

“Vot can I do for you today sir?” He sounded so feint.

“I am dying” I bubbled.

“vere are you sir?”

“Telephone box” I stopped “Stroudly walk, again.”

“vould you like to tell me Ver Bow is sir?”

“East … London.” a whisper.

“I am afraid ve don’t service this area sir, ve won’t be able to help you tonight you must veight for the morning and dial …”

My energy was spent. I collapsed. As I slid towards the pavement the telephone dropped on top of my head, the blood flowed across the gravel and down into the gutter. I sent my love and blew a kiss to the polluted night sky. I just wanted to see a star.