Monday 11 March 2013

Drought in Seyðisfjörður

Hello dear blog readers, It has been quite a day in Seyðisfjörður. I woke up rather late as I needed to give my creative juices a recharge, especially after all that walking in the snow yesterday. I must admit I am quite a solitary artist and I am new to walking about in the open air looking for inspiration, I guess that is half the challenge and the reason I am here. So climbing down stairs and taking my morning pee I noticed upon washing my hands that there was no water coming out of the taps! What could this mean? I went to the kitchen and tried the taps and I was shocked to learn there was no water there either! What could this mean? I hung around for a bit wondering what to do, then I returned to the taps, both the kitchen and the bathroom, they were as dry as a camels arse.
Anyway I was determined to find out the problem and hopefully a solution. I put on my layers, clean underwear, clean lambswool socks, long Johns, tracksuit bottoms, thermal vest, base layer, woollen sweater, north face 700 goose down vest, north face plasma thermal jacket, scarf and my Palladium waterproof fur lined boots. I grabbed a thousand kroner and headed out. I walked the 10 minutes it takes to the Skaftfell Bistro, perhaps someone could tell me how to fix this. They were closed. I thought this is shit. I then headed back in the direction of my house and whilst crossing the bridge I bumped into a girl I met the other night at the local. We chatted for a moment then I dropped the bomb, "oh my water isn't working, any ideas?" she said "yes the whole town is out, I work at the hospital and there was quite a worry so one guy went somewhere and come back with two gallons of water." Well at least I now know it isn't just me, we are all suffering in Seyðisfjörður. One account she gave was that the pipes are so old that they broke outside of town, the next reason was that a digger broke the pipes outside of town but I have my own reason. Iceland is streaming with beautiful natural water, we have snow all around and waterfalls gushing down the mountain sides, the tap water is said to be the best in the world. I think areas of Scotland are pretty good too. So the water is so good that they are doing bottled water out of business, now in places like this bottled water must be the biggest con known to man, it is like trying to sell a Turkey Christmas. I think you know where I am going with this. I found myself in the Supermarket spending 300 Kroner for a bottle of 'Icelandic Pure' it then occurred to me that these are the bastards who severed the water mains! Some Icelandic Pure associate shareholder clearly hired a digger guy to dig where the pipes are. But they must be really dumb because we in Seyðisfjörður are on to this, Icelandic people have not survived in this harsh place for so long to be conned by a bottled water company. People are out right now in the river Fjarðará collecting buckets of liquid gold, except it is free gold!  I mean I just needed a vessel to collect river water so this is why I bought your god damn water - you criminals! Plus my two saucepans are dirty, so I couldn't collect water in those. When I got home I filled up my dirty pans with snow and boiled them with a bit of detergent, seemed to work OK. 
The yellow is detergent mind

I hear water should be back on at midnight, meanwhile I am savouring my bottle of 'Icelandic Pure Rip-off'.
Still life with Icelandic Pure Rip-off


After Midnight, those dirty ....