Wednesday 6 March 2013

THIS BRAVE ARTSMAN FROM SE ENGLANDS - PART ϷRίR!


The flight from Gatwick to Reykjavik was smooth and like the coach trip I made several years back, the landscape was still exhilarating.
Super landscape view from Fly Bus, Keflavik to Reykjavik 
I arrived in Reykjavik bus terminal to pick up my keys for the Sim Guesthouse, I then caught a taxi.
Mr Taxi Driver never heard of a guesthouse in down-town Reykjavik especially one so central, this had me a bit nervous.
“Hafnarstræti 16 ist what it says on my papers” I said in broken English with a slight foreign accent, “so schtop making me nervous Mr Taxi Driver!” The guy was actually very friendly and the destination proved correct. 
Left outside alone with my heavy bags and incredible wind I was not sure how to access the house, so I popped into an office next door. An office space of what seemed liked baffled graphic designers or architects had no idea of such a thing and needed to check the internet, perplexed but friendly “yes you are right brave artsman from se Englands!” And now they know of Sim Guesthouse next door!
"Tak Tak" I left them in their office, wheeled my bags across the gravels to the other side of the building. Ahhhh this is se green gate I have been instructed to go through! With my keys and my bags I finally made it into Sim Guesthouse! “Hallo? … Hallo?” I yelled but it seemed no one was home; I followed my instructions on my piece of papers and heaved my bags up to the firsts floor, through the kitchen and up to the seconds floor where room number 4 awaited.
An attic room all alones? First thing I did before I settled was log into Facebooks, because if you need company Facebooks is the best place to meet all the friends you have in the vorld!
I must stop speaking in this silly German accent! Although I find it amusing it might get me into trouble, or people might think that I am a bit thick. You know the situation when you are in a foreign speaking country, you can find yourself doing the broken English thing? Embarrassing!
Snow Skyr and Blonde, collage with Skyr on paper, 2013